Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Is a medical license all encompassing?


If you were to browse through the directory of medical services offered in your city, you would find more "ologists" than you could shake a tongue depresser at (Yes, I know the pun is terrible . . . but it's New Year's Eve, and I've had a bit of champagne). We all know there exists a doctor for all seasons, and in every season, a doctor.

My question comes, is a license to practice medicine also a license to be an arse? If you were to schedule a Dr appt, and then show up 10 minutes late, you'd likely lose your appt, and then be charged for their inconvenience. However, how many of you have dutifully arrived at your appt 10 min early, only to find that you will not be seen for at least another half an hour? That isn't rhetorical, I'd actually like to know.

I have seen the full spectrum of medical arrogance, where it pertains to paying attention to the patient . . . from a building full of nurses and other staff exchanging stories about their forays at the bar the previous night (whilst you sit there, reading "new" articles about the JFK assasination), to doctors solemnly proclaiming that you need to wait just a bit longer . . . . as you gaze into an empty waiting room . . . . at 6 am.

I realize that the guy with the PhD has spent a great deal of money, and will spend a great deal more for the next 15 years . . . however, no one gave him a license to spend my time. If my appt is for 3:00 pm, I expect that at 3:00 pm, there will be a nurse butchering my name, to inform me that the doctor is waiting to see me.

My time is just as valued as yours, oh master of the medicine. While my hourly rate may not be *quite* as high as yours, it is nonetheless, MINE. You do not have permission to take it in exchange for a simple diagnosis that I could have made myself with a little help from webmd.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment