Monday, March 30, 2009

Stevie Ray Vaughn

As I've left my external hard drive at home, I find myself without my vast library of music to accompany my day. My big Sony cans and a cup of coffee are usually all I need to power through my day, righting technical wrongs all across the network.

Therefore, I find myself relying solely on YouTube for my music feed. It's an imperfect system as the quality and selection are rather limited and inconsistent at best. Furthermore, the RIAA has now set their sights on the pennies they're losing through just such enjoyment. This means that many songs/videos have been pulled by YouTube under pressure and threat of legal action.

One song that I always find myself gravitating towards during times of musical famine is Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing. It's an amazingly well done instrumental that frankly, I enjoy far more than Hendrix's version.

To be fair, you have to be familiar with Jimi's version in order to fully appreciate the instrumental by SRV. I take nothing from Jimi's original, and clearly without it, there'd be no SRV version. There's simply something amazingly engrossing about the clearly translated soul of this song by SRV with only his guitar. Beautiful thing.

Note: The ending of the SRV's rendition is not in the original, it's dubbed over by the producers of the video, which as it turns out is a Fender promotional montage.

No comments:

Post a Comment